What is the best lightweight garden hose you can buy for your garden? In this article, we will be reviewing some of the best garden hose in the market. We will also be sharing with you a guide on how to select a quality lightweight garden hose from all the many products available to choose from.
You need to water your garden regularly, and a garden hose allows you to get the job done quickly. It also ensures that the water is spread evenly to all parts of the plant. But it can be quite difficult to find the right garden hose to buy. There are too many brands available for you to choose from which can make it difficult to decide on which one to pick.
It can be really stressful dragging around a heavy watering can about, which is why a lightweight garden hose is a good investment. If you are a gardener like me who loves to attend to her plant’s needs, then you will certainly know how important it is to have the right gardening tools.
How to Choose the Best Lightweight Garden Hose
If you have a large farm or often cover long distances when you water your plants, then you will have to consider the length of your garden hose when shopping for one. You will also need to check that the entire unit isn’t heavy so as it can easily be moved around without stress. When shopping for a lightweight garden hose, you will need to consider
Materials Used by the Manufacturer
Most manufacturers use a combination of materials to make their garden hose. These materials could include nylon, rubber, vinyl, and other lightweight materials. The tubes are mostly made of rubber, plastics, polyurethane resins, vinyl cores, and other polymers. These materials have a high tolerance to extreme temperatures and are best to use in areas where it is usually hot for the most part of the year.
Hose fittings make it easy to attach the hose to the water source is usually made of aluminum, brass, and stainless steel. These materials are put in place to offer less friction when connecting the hose to the faucet ends of your tap. Whichever garden hose you do end up settling for, you need to ensure that it can withstand pressure and can easily be connected.
You don’t want to spend your money on a garden hose that wouldn’t serve you for a few years at least before packing up. This is another reason why you have to keep your eyes peeled for the type of material used in making your garden hose. While you have to ensure that the entire unit is lightweight, you also want to ensure that it is made from highly durable materials.
Some of the best durable materials for your garden hose tubes include rubber, plastic, vinyl, and resins. The fittings that attach to faucets can be made of brass, stainless steel, and aluminum.
The size of the hose is another thing you want to take into consideration when buying a garden hose. The size of the hose determines the amount of water that can pass through it. Hoses with smaller diameters will only be able to accept small amounts of water while larger hoses will encourage the flow of more water.
Purpose of Using the Hose
You will have to buy a hose that matches your needs. So you want to get this pretty defined before you go shopping for a new garden hose. Do you just need a hose to water your backyard garden? or you need something that can perform more vigorous work on a larger farm. Knowing how you intend to use your garden hose will help you settle on the right materials, sizes, and lengths.
Which Weather Will You Be Using the Hose
You will also need to take into consideration weather conditions when shopping for a garden hose. If you will be using the product in winter to probably fill livestock tanks, then you will want to check that the material can withstand freezing. If you will be using your garden hose for only seasonal watering, you will need to provide a cool shady spot to store your garden hose.
I understand that it can be quite heavy moving your garden hose from the shed to the yard every few days, but if your hose isn’t rigorous enough to withstand extreme temperatures, then it is best you house it when it is not in use.
The Best Lightweight Garden Hose for Your Yard
Now that we have looked at a few things you need to keep in mind when shopping for a quality lightweight garden hose, we can now dive into our top 5 picks of the best garden hose you can spend your money on.
#1 is our best pick for fast watering
- This top-quality garden hose is made to be lightweight and allows for extreme flexibility.
- It is also available in a variety of colors making it easier for you to find one that matches your style.
- There are different sizes, lengths, and hose diameters to choose from. So it shouldn’t be a big deal for you to find one that suits your needs.
- The hose is slim and can easily be moved around for long distances without stress.
- It allows for fast watering and can boost up to 5 gallons per minute flow. This makes it a great hose if you like to spend less time outside watering your plants.
- It kinks easily when the hose isn’t filled with water.
- It generally has a weak flow rate.
- The coil easily gets tangled on the ground when moving the hose around.
#2 is our best pick for extreme temperatures
- The hose is drinking water safe. This means that kids and pets can drink from it without having to worry about contaminants.
- It is made to withstand freezing weather condition which makes it a good winter garden hose.
- It is also great at holding up in extreme heat making it a good hose for your summer needs.
- Made from lightweight polymers with aluminum fittings, this garden hose can easily be moved about without much stress.
- The hose kinks when it isn’t filled with water.
- Compared to other garden hosed reviewed, the flexzilla is heavier but also highly durable.
#3 is our best pick for warranty
- The tube is wrapped with woven fiber which provides protection from wear and tear.
- The materials used are polymer, nylon fiber, and aluminum which are highly durable.
- Designed to be lightweight which makes it easy to move around without stress.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty which provides you a good value for your money.
- It can also be used in extreme weather conditions due to the materials used.
- Due to the woven fabric around the hose, it can be quite difficult to roll up.
- The hose kinks easily when it isn’t filled with water.
- Although there is a warranty on the product, it leaks easily and will need to be handled carefully.
#4 is our best pick for design
- Unlike the rest of the products in this review, the Turf Guard doesn’t kink when it isn’t filled with water.
- It is suitable for use in extreme temperatures, be it cold or hot.
- It is highly durable due to its design. You can bury the hose in the ground without rupturing the tube.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty making it a good investment.
- The fittings leak or tear easily but can be covered by warranty.
#5 is our best pick for weight
- Designed to be extremely lightweight. this is what we love about it.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty. You also get good customer service from the manufacturer when you need after purchase assistance.
- It can easily be rolled up to the shed for storage without stress.
- The design allows for quick watering due to its fairly large diameter.
- It doesn’t do so well under hot weather so it shouldn’t be left out in the sun.
- Has the tendency to bulge if you use the hose regularly.
- Once bulge sets in, it’s just a matter of time before it begins to kink when it is filled with water.
It can be difficult for you to select the best lightweight garden hose for your garden. This is because there are a lot of lightweight products available in the market to choose from. You can easily find a garden hose made from polymers, plastics, and other lightweight materials. This is why we think you should consider any of the products listed above.
Just so you know, our best pick is the Legacy Flexzilla Lightweight Hose. Although it is a little heavier than the rest of the products listed above, it is highly durable and can be used in any weather condition. It is also drinking water safe which means your kids and pets can drink directly from the hose without swallowing any micro-organism.