Last Updated on December 27, 2022 by Griselda M.
Are you looking for the best rat poison that won’t harm other animals, especially your pets yet it will eliminate the rodents? A rat infestation is the worst nuisance you will ever face in your home. Rodents pose a health risk to your family and damage your property.
Rodents poison is one of the top 10 dog killers in the US. The severity of this poison depends on the type of rodenticide used and the amount ingested. Please note that even a small amount of poison can cause severe problems or death to your pet.
What’s in Rat Poison?
There are two types of rat poisons:
- One uses anticoagulants like warfarin, bromadiolone, and brodifacoum. The concentrates are designed to cause the rodents or any other animal that eats them to bleed internally. That means any pet or child who ingests this poison, must get immediate medical attention or else die.
- The second type of poison is made with Cholecalciferon, Bromethalin, and Phosphide. These components can kill within several hours. This poison is used to eliminate other pests like cockroaches as well. The longer the rats remain in your environment before they die, the higher the chance of leaving the harmful bacteria behind.
Check out How to Get Rid of Voles
How Do You Use Rat Poison That Won’t Harm Other Animals?
By Eliminating the Source of Attraction for the Rodents
The rats in your home are there because there is an available source of food or water. Identify these and remove them completely. Pet food left outside attracts rats. Unsecured trash cans and containers when left unattended also attract rodents. If the sources of food and water are away, the rodents will move to another place to look for the same. This is the first and most important way to end rats in your home.
Use Non-toxic and Pet Safe Rat Traps
For some eliminating rats is the first thing on their mind. But they don’t think through their method of eradication. To ensure the safety of your pets even as you end these pests, use non-toxic rat traps like the A24 rat and mouse trap. These traps have a small opening to attract rodents to the bait.
The opening is wide enough to allow the rodents in but too small for dogs to reach the bait. When a rodent enters the trap, it triggers an immediate CO2-powered blow that kills it immediately. This non-toxic trap is self-setting meaning it will set itself every time. This A24 trap is useful both outdoors and indoors and lasts longer. The trap is ideal because it can be set up in the barn or the house and leave it there. It will reset after every kill with each CO2 canister able to go for up to 24 kills.
Once the rodent dies, discard it. Since it is killed at once, there is no mess created compared with other traps like glue or snap traps. This trap gives you peace of mind in knowing your pets and children will not come into contact with rat poison o unsafe traps.
Goodnature A24 Home Trapping Kit
3) Use Electronic Rat and Mouse Traps
Use the Good Old Method
Is Rat Poison Harmful to Plants?
If you have pests in your garden and are wondering, if rat poison is harmful to plants, then we have some important information that you should take heed of. Firstly, the answer is yes, rat poison is harmful to plants. This is because if it is used near your garden, it will contaminate the soil which would lead to a dying garden.
Aside from that, you will not be able to rid the soil of the pollution caused by the application of poison as it will continue to work its way through for a long time. Soil contamination is amongst the deadliest methods to destroying a once thriving garden so my advice is that you steer clear from using it near your plants.
Will Rat Poison Kill a Hamster?
If you have a hamster as a pet, then the answer to the question will rat poison kills a hamster will be very beneficial to you. Rat poison is exactly what it says it is and if consumed by a hamster, it will definitely kill it if you do not take action immediately. By action, I mean taking your hamster to a vet immediately after it ingests the poison.
Although no guarantee rushing them off to a vet would save them, in the case of suspected poisoning, it is crucial that you at least try the best means to save your pet. Additionally, to keep your hampster and other pets safe at all times, the use of rat poison should not be a part of your practice to get rid of pests.
Can Rat Poison Kill Ducks?
I have often wondered, can rat poison kill ducks? So, I did some digging and found out that, yes, rat poison is often lethal to ducks and the rest of the bird species. However, if you don’t see your birds consuming them, you may not even know that they did. This is because the symptoms from the position usually manifest themselves between three to seven days after consumption in ducks.
These signs appear as weakness, loss of appetite, lethargy, and sometimes internal bleeding. Keep in mind that some ducks may display no signs after ingesting rat poison and in most cases are found dead after a few days.
Will Rat Poison Kill Ants?
Ants are sometimes uncontrollable invaders, therefore I have always thought about, will rat poison kills ants. The answer is yes, rat poison will kill ants although it is quite a harsh chemical to use on them because of their tiny size. What I mean is, if you have to get rid of them, there are simpler ways to do so that would not put the rest of your animals in danger because rat poison can be deadly.
However, you also need to understand that ants are extremely intelligent creatures who communicate and release pheromones and other chemicals to warn their colonies if they have consumed poison.
Will Chipmunks Eat Rat Poisoning?
If you are asking, will chipmunks eat rat poison, the answer is yes, they will. Although rat poison is usually used to get rid of rats in one go, chipmunks usually succumb to the poison after eating it for a few days. A better way to get rid of chipmunks is by using natural deterrents like garden plants. These animals are not very fond of plants like peppermint because of its aromatic smell, Alliums, garlic because of its pungency, and marigolds, or daffodils as it irritates them.
If you have other animals like dogs and cats, using rat poison to get rid of underground chipmunks can also endanger your pets.
How Do I Get Rid Of Rats Without Poison?
So, how do I get rid of rats without poison? There are several natural remedies that you can use to get rid of rats. To begin with, peppermint oil is one of them.
Using this oil around your house will deter them as they cannot tolerate the minty stench that peppermint oil exudes. You can also opt to use baking soda to get rid of rodents. This household product works like a bomb as it interacts with the rat’s stomach acids, resulting in the production of carbon dioxide which rodents cannot handle as it eventually ruptures their intestines. Additionally, the smell of ammonia is an instant killer when it comes to rodents.
Will Chickens Die if They Eat Rat Poison?
Have you ever thought about the question, will chickens die if they eat rat poison? The sad truth is that rat poison is extremely potent and your chickens will be done for if they consume it. This actually doesn’t only apply to chickens but all other bird species. Rat poison can rupture the bird’s intestines, causing internal bleeding that chicken breeders find very hard to detect. This is because the signs and symptoms take a while to show up and by the time they do, the damage has already progressed. So, if you have chickens, your best bet would be not to use rat poison at all.
Pet-friendly Rat Poison Final Words
Caroline is a gardener who loves to get down to the nitty–gritty of gardening. She proudly proclaims herself as a ‘dirt worshipper‘ and can often be found deep in the garden, covered in soil and singing to her plants. As a self–proclaimed ‘plant whisperer‘, Caroline believes that plants need love and attention just like any other living thing, and she loves to give them both. When she‘s not tending to her garden, you can often find her researching the latest gardening trends, or teaching others how to make their gardens thrive