Does Creeping phlox bloom all summer or winter, or what season do they flower and display their array of beauty?
Phlox has been a favorite flower for many years. It comes in a variety of types many of which are native to North America and is found almost in every garden. These plants feature start shaped colorful flowers when in bloom.
Their versatility cannot be understated as each type represents something as shown below
- Low growing or creeping phlox works excellent as ground cover
- Tall phlox is excellent for a colorful backdrop
- Medium height varieties fill in any gaps that need some kind of beauty
These flowers are low maintenance and have a lovely fragrance than any other flower. The tall phlox or the Paniculata Phlox is seen growing across yards of many abandoned old houses or spread across roadsides.
Creeping Phlox Bloom Time
Phox are perennials and a favorite choice for many gardeners. The creeping phlox covers the ground well and blooms in spring and the early part of summer. The tall phlox blooms in mid to late summer.
Varieties of Phlox that Bloom All Summer and Spring
- Creeping phlox. This is the most common and planted in many homes. Creeping phlox is called so because it grows close to the ground, crawling and spreading. It blooms approximately 6 weeks into the spring and the early part of summer in all the zones it grows. You can propagate it by transplanting portions to the areas where you wish to grow it. It grows slowly taking a long time to fill a large space.
- Tall Phlox. This variety grows anywhere from 10 inches to 4 feet high. Tall phlox blooms in summer that is July and August. There are exceptions of tall phlox that does not bloom in summer. Astoria and Intensia phlox bloom beautifully into late fall and through winter in very cold climates. Astoria grows up to about 24 inches and Intensia reaches around 14 inches tall.
When and Where to Plant Phlox
Plant phlox immediately you receive it to avoid damage to the sensitive young plants. Plant it either in spring or fall.
Planting in Fall. Plant your phlox a few weeks before your first frost falls. You can keep the plants cool on a deck for a few days until it’s the best time to plant. But do not let the roots dry out before you plant.
Planting in Spring. If your phlox plant arrives in spring, keep it moist in the container until the ground is ready for planting. Hold off the spring planting until the ground is easy to work on and the soil is free from melted snow and ice.
Growing Conditions for Phlox Flower
Phlox is a low-maintenance plant but it requires the right growing conditions to thrive.
- Light. Both varieties of phlox thrive in full sun. The garden phlox requires both sun and a little shade particularly in the south to thrive.
- Soil. Though phlox is tolerant to most garden soils, it does well in well-drained soils especially in the Northern areas where the snow drains slowly. Waterlogged, damp spring soil can cause root rot in the plants killing them. Use compost or peat moss added to the garden soil to improve the drainage and create a better growing environment.
- Spacing. Tall Phlox should be planted about 18 inches apart while creeping phlox planted about 2 feet apart. If you plant them too close they are attacked by mildew. Giving them enough room for air circulation is the cure for mildew.
Once planted in these right growing conditions, you will realize that both varieties will gradually increase and join together to form a large grouping of phlox. The creeping variety creates a carpet or mat-like formation on the ground.
Find out more about beautiful flowers:
Best Phlox Flower for Summer Blooms
If you want to plant phlox that blooms during summer, you will have to settle on the garden phlox. Garden phlox is the only one that blooms during summer. However, there is a disclaimer – not all garden phlox blooms at the same time in summer. They vary depending on the zone and climate they are growing under. It is possible to have the first bloom in early June as late as late July.
We now have a clear answer to the question does creeping phlox bloom all summer. We know what blooms during summer and what doesn’t. We know what to plant depending on our needs and zone and when to plant it.
Go ahead and plant these darling flowers and make your home bright and beautiful like never before!