There is no doubt everyone would like to know how to keep the patio umbrella from spinning because of the danger it poses to the users.
Not only is a spinning umbrella an annoying distraction when you are trying to relax but it is dangerous to those using it. We have compiled some common methods to prevent your patio umbrella from spinning.
Easy Ways on How to Keep a Patio Umbrella from Spinning
There are several ways you can use to help keep your umbrella stable. Whatever style or design your patio umbrella has, it is possible to hold it firmly together even on windy days. Let’s look at some ways that you can use.
- Popsicle Stick Method. You can stop your umbrella from spinning using a popsicle stick. First, loosen the knob on the stand. Then hammer down the popsicle stick between the stand and the pole to create friction between the two. Then tighten the knob to help secure the pole. It will be firm enough to stand strong windy conditions.
- Tighten up the Knob Bolt. This is the most obvious solution to tighten a spinning umbrella. Tightening the knob belt secures it to the pole. It is normal for the bolt to come loose during the year especially if the umbrella jostles around due to the wind. Also, most people when they are setting up their umbrella, they do not tighten the bolt firmly. This leaves the umbrella free to spin. A simple tightening of the bolt often keeps the pole secure so it does not move.
- Get an Umbrella Cone. If after tightening your bolt you still find your umbrella spinning, get a cone to support it. The cone is inserted onto the pole and snuggly fits into the center table holes. It fits umbrella poles that are up to 1.5 inches in diameter and table openings of up to 2.5 inches in diameter. Using the cone is a great way to stabilize and center your umbrella and has worked for many people.
- Buy an Umbrella Ring. An umbrella ring is inserted into the table hole and reduces the diameter of the hole helping it stabilize the pole. When buying the ring, be sure to measure the diameter of your table hole and pole. You have to ensure the ring works on your umbrella. If you don’t measure it, you might end up disappointed with the product.
Read more about Best Commercial Patio Heaters
Permanent Solutions to Keep a Patio Umbrella from Spinning
- Secure the Pole. For those with freestanding umbrellas without the table, you will need extra pole support to secure them. Use the deck or a bulky object nearby to bracket the pole down firmly.
- Get Bungee Cords. Use a small bungee cord to wrap it around the pole. Then connect a longer bungee cord to the small one. Stretch the long cord to the canopy center. Connect it to the frame that supports the canopy. These cords are not affected by the weather. They can be an excellent option to use for extremely windy days.
- Choose the right Base for your Kind of Umbrella. If you don’t want to go through the hassle of tightening the knob of your umbrella, get the right base. The loose spinning umbrella might be behaving that way because its base is the wrong one. When choosing the right base, be sure to buy a heavy one with the right hole size. This ensures the umbrella remains firmly fixed in place and defies the strong winds. Check-in with the manufacturers who make bases because they also offer complimentary models that will go well with their bases.
- Drill the Base Securely in the Patio. For a permanent solution, you might want to consider drilling the base and securing it firmly in the patio. Some bases come with holes and screws already in the package to help you secure your umbrella. These holes are best aligned with the ones on the floor or if none you can make some. Then secure the base tightly by drilling it into the floor. You may also mount it on the deck if you want.
There you have it, no matter how shaky your patio umbrella is, there are enough solutions that should work for you. Some are temporary while others are permanent solutions.
It can be frustrating to have a spinning and falling patio umbrella.
This space is meant to be a safe place for relaxation, free from any noise and distractions. The inconveniences of a spinning umbrella can violate your relaxation and should be dealt with as soon.