Read more

"/>
Is Jade Toxic To Dogs? 

Is Jade Toxic To Dogs? 

Is jade toxic to dogs and if yes what exactly does it do to your pets?  In this article, we will learn all about the jade plant and its effects on pets.

The jade plant is a common plant growing in many parts of the world including parts of America. It has been used for centuries as traditional medicine and it is still popularly used today.  It is also commonly referred to as the ‘emperor’s herb’ and it is often associated with good luck, wealth, and prosperity.

It is also believed that the jade plant brings love, friendship, and joy to people who are blessed with the presence of the plant.  In China, the jade plant is considered an essential part of the diet.  It is believed that the Chinese emperor was born with the jade plant embedded in his skin and that he was given this gift as a sign of blessing.

All About The Jade Plant
Why Do Rottweilers Eat Their Puppie... x
Why Do Rottweilers Eat Their Puppies: the Truth Behind This Distressing Behavior

The Jade plant comes from the family *Celastraceae* and it is known by many different names such as:  ‘jade tree’, ‘queen of flowers’, ‘emperor’s herb’, ‘Indian jade’, ‘stone flower’, ‘Chinese jade’, ‘pagoda flower’, ‘rock jade’, ‘coral jade’, ‘king of the forest’, ‘king of the mountains, ‘goddess of longevity, ‘heavenly jade’, ‘earthly jade’, ‘blue jade’, ‘mantel jade’, ‘mountain jade’ and ‘dragon’s blood jade’.

It has a long history of use in traditional Chinese medicine.  It is also believed that the jade plant has many other medicinal properties.  It is used to help treat various illnesses including arthritis, cancer, colitis, depression, diabetes, gout, hypertension, inflammation, infertility, liver disease, lupus, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, stroke, ulcers, and urinary tract infections.

The jade plant is also very popular among modern herbalists as it is known to contain many nutrients that are beneficial to our health.  This includes calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, and vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D, E, F, G, and K.

Some of these nutrients include vitamin A, which is an essential vitamin for the proper functioning of the eyes, skin, bones, teeth, immune system, and the nervous system.  Vitamin A also helps in the production of red blood cells.  Vitamin B1 helps with the formation of red blood cells, DNA and RNA.

With all that info, let’s see if jade is toxic to dogs.

Is Jade Toxic To Dogs?

Yes, jade is toxic to pets and it can cause many different types of symptoms in your dogs.      Jade plant poisoning can be fatal to dogs.  It is very important to know what happens to your dogs when they are poisoned by the jade plant.

What are the symptoms of jade poisoning?  When your dog is poisoned by the jade plant, you will notice that he or she will be very lethargic, droopy, have a pale appearance, and may even go into shock.  If your dog gets jade poisoning, it can cause his or her heart to stop beating and cause them to have seizures.

It can also cause them to lose their ability to eat and drink.  Some dogs may become very weak, and some may even vomit. If your dog has any of these symptoms, you must take him or her to a vet right away.

Can Jade Be Toxic To Cats?

Yes, jade can be toxic to cats.  Just like in dogs, if a cat is poisoned by the jade plant, it can cause his or her heart to stop beating.  It can also cause them to lose their ability to eat and drink.

It can also cause them to go into shock.  It can also cause them to become very lethargic and droopy.  If your cat has any of these symptoms, you must take him or her to a vet right away.

For sure, this plant should be kept away from pets.

How Do I Get Rid of Jade In My House?

Now that you know is jade toxic to dogs, it’s time to get rid of this plant that can poison your pets.  If you are trying to get rid of jade growing in your house, you will need to call a professional.  There are several ways to do this.

You can hire a professional to help you.  Or, you can use products – herbicides that are sold to help you kill this plant.  These products will work to clean out the jade from your house.  They will also help prevent any more jade from coming into your house.

If you choose to hire a professional to help you, you will have to decide how much time and money you want to spend.  This is because professionals will charge by the hour.  Depending on how long it takes for you to clean out your house, this could cost you a lot of money.

However, if you only want to clean out your house once, this is not too bad.  On the other hand, you can also use products that are sold to help you.  These products will be less expensive than hiring a professional.

In Conclusion

Is jade toxic to dogs?  Yes, this plant is toxic to pets both cats and dogs. It can cause a wide variety of signs from mild to severe.

The most common problem is the ingestion of large amounts of plants causing a variety of symptoms. Some pets have had to be put down after ingesting large amounts of jade.  Signs can include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, tremors, weakness, collapse, muscle twitching, and difficulty breathing.

Other symptoms include dark urine and pale stools, anemia, liver damage, and kidney failure.

What happens if a dog eats a succulent

Frequently Asked Questions

Are jade plants poisonous to pets?

Yes, jade plants are known to be poisonous to pets, especially cats and dogs that could eat them up.  It is important to keep these plants from your pets to protect them from poisoning. 

What happens if a dog eats a succulent?

A pet will not immediately die from eating succulents, but it could have an upset stomach or get really sick. If the pet has eaten a large number of succulents, he or she should seek veterinary care.

Are dogs attracted to succulents?

No, they are not. They may eat them accidentally, but they do not like them. They can even get sick from eating succulents. 

How do I stop my dog from eating succulents?

Dogs usually eat what they want. They will eat succulents if they accidentally get into your garden or yard. Try to keep your yard free of succulents to prevent your dog from eating them. Or keep your pets away from your garden where you are growing jade plants. When your dog eats succulents, take him or her to a vet immediately.