Last Updated on August 14, 2022 by Griselda M.
In this article, we will look at the major differences between the snake plant vs spider plant and how well these plants grow.
Snake Plant vs Spider Plant – These two plants are often confused but have very different growing requirements. Let’s find out how to tell them apart.
What Is Snake Plant?
The snake plant (Dracaena trifasciata) is a tropical plant that originates from Africa. The snake plant flower is called Sansevieria. The snake plant can grow up to 12 feet tall and has green leaves with spiky tips
It is grown for its ornamental value in the house and garden. It can be used for indoor landscaping and for outdoor decoration as it requires little maintenance. It can be grown indoors or outdoors in different types of environments. It is an excellent house plant for people who are allergic to dust, pollen, and pet dander.
Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) is a tropical plant that originates from South Africa. It can grow up to 12-15″ tall and has long greyish-green leaves. It is grown for its ornamental value in the house and garden. It can be used for outdoor landscaping and for indoor decoration as it requires little maintenance. It can be grown indoors or outdoors in different types of environments.
The spider plant grows best in a sunny location with average humidity. It can be found at most nurseries and home improvement stores. It can tolerate temperatures from 70°F to 90°F. However, it cannot withstand frost. You should use a misting system that allows for the constant release of water and fertilizer.
Bonnie Curly Spider Plant – 4” from California Tropicals
The spider plant does not like to dry out and should be kept constantly moist through regular watering. You should let only the top 2 inches of the topsoil soil dry out between watering. This will prevent the roots from getting dehydrated. Make sure to water the spider plant frequently.
The soil should always stay slightly damp. If you notice that the soil has dried up, you should re-water your spider plant. The spider plant is one of the easiest plants to grow. It can be grown in a pot or in the ground.
Learn more about:
Snake Plant Vs Spider Plant – What Are The Differences?
Both the snake plant and spider plant belong to the same family of plants, the Asparagaceae. Both are popular indoor houseplants. However, there are some significant differences between them.
- The most obvious is that a snake plant will grow up to 12 feet tall while a spider plant will grow up to 15 inches tall.
- While the snake plant has a very attractive form, it can be difficult to grow because of its propensity for spreading roots through the substrate and out of the pot. The spider plant has a much more compact growth habit, which makes it easier to care for. The spider plant is also very easy to grow. It is a very fast-growing plant and will quickly fill up a large container.
- Snake plants can be grown in a variety of soil types including coco coir, peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. Spider plants are also known for their ability to tolerate poor soil conditions.
- Leaf shapes. Snake plant has very broad leaves, while spider plant has narrow leaves.
- Leaf color. Spider plant has light green leaves, while snake plant has dark green leaves.
- Foliage color. Snake plant has white or light green foliage, while spider plant has green or yellow foliage.
- Foliage texture. Snake plant has soft, velvety foliage, while spider plant has rough, wiry foliage.
- Flower color. Spider plants are known for their small white flowers and snake plants produce white and cream to greenish-white or even yellow flowers.
Final Remarks – Snake Plant Vs Spider Plant
This article addresses in detail the snake plant vs spider plant differences and growth to help plant lovers choose the plant they want to grow. Both plants are beautiful and easy to grow so making a choice to grow one or the other not so easy. However, you can choose to grow both.
Which is better Spider Plant or snake plant?
The snake plant is a common perennial herb that produces beautiful blooms. It is easy to grow and has a great deal of foliage. It also grows best in a warmer environment than a cool room or basement.
Which plant is good for bedroom?
The spider plant may be better for the bedroom. This is because the snake plant is thought to bring bad luck. So if you are someone who believes in bad luck, the snake plant may be a bad choice.
Can you plant snake and spider plants together?
You can plant both together, but the spider plant will outgrow the snake plant and take over. The snake plant needs a lot of sunlight and the spider plant requires less light.
What are the disadvantages of snake plants?
Some of the disadvantages of snake plants include slow growth rate, poisonous to humans and pets and susceptibility to fungal infections.
Caroline is a gardener who loves to get down to the nitty–gritty of gardening. She proudly proclaims herself as a ‘dirt worshipper‘ and can often be found deep in the garden, covered in soil and singing to her plants. As a self–proclaimed ‘plant whisperer‘, Caroline believes that plants need love and attention just like any other living thing, and she loves to give them both. When she‘s not tending to her garden, you can often find her researching the latest gardening trends, or teaching others how to make their gardens thrive